Suraiya Wiki, Age, Death, Husband, Children, Family, Biography & More – WikiBio – FilmyVoice
Suraiya Jamal Sheikh was an Indian playback singer and actress. The peak of her profession was in 1950. She portrayed a twin function within the Indian Cinema and in playback singing within the late Nineteen Forties. She took her final breath within the 12 months 2004 due to some well being points.
Suraiya was born on Saturday, 15 June 1929 (age 75 years; on the time of dying) in Lahore.
She died on 31 January 2004 due to numerous well being illnesses, together with hypoglycemia, ischemia, and insulinoma. She had carried out her education at J.B. Petit Excessive College for Ladies within the Fort district of Mumbai. Suraiya was proudly recognized for her Muslim feudal type of appearing. Her main works embrace engaged on the movie Taj Mahal during which she performed the younger Mumtaz Mahal. She was among the many highest-paid actresses from the late Nineteen Forties to the early Nineteen Fifties. Her first look was within the movie Madame Vogue (1936) whose director was Jaddan Bai.
Household & Caste
Suraiya belongs to a Muslim Feudal household. She was one-year-old when her household moved to Mumbai to reside at Krishna Mahal at Marine Drive. M Zahoor, Suraiya’s maternal uncle, was a well known villain within the Thirties Bombay Movie Trade. Her childhood buddies had been Raj Kapoor and Madan Mohan, with whom she used to sing within the Youngsters’s Radio Program at All India Radio.
Mother and father
Suraiya was a gorgeous daughter of Aziz Jamal Sheikh (father) and Mumtaz Sheikh (mom).
Husband & Youngsters
Suraiya Jamal Sheikh had remained single throughout her lifetime due to some private causes.
A standard incident that occurred throughout a movie taking pictures had marked the beginning of her love life with Dev Anand. Dev Anand was a well-known Indian actor, director, and producer within the Bollywood Trade. Suraiya and Dev Anand fell in love with one another through the taking pictures of a movie.
It was a minor incident when a ship turned over within the water and Dev Anand saved her from drowning. This incident performed a significant function in Suraiya’s life and her romance with Dev Anand started there. Life can take any flip anytime and the identical occurred with Suraiya. She needed to marry Dev Anand due to her divine love for him however remained single throughout her entire lifespan. Her maternal grandmother didn’t need her to marry him due to spiritual points, as she belonged to a Muslim household and Dev Anand belonged to a Hindu household. It was additionally stated that she was the one incomes member in her complete household and that’s why her grandmother didn’t want for her marriage to Dev Anand. The state of affairs was heartbreaking for either side after which Dev Anand moved on in his life and bought married within the 12 months 1954. Suraiya’s relationship bought highlighted with Dev Anand, however she favored Gregory Peck, a Hollywood actor.
Faith/Non secular Views
Suraiya was born right into a Muslim feudal household. Her household was an orthodox household and observe the previous and conventional perception system.
Suraiya performed a twin function in her skilled life as a well-known actress and a candy playback singer within the Indian Movie Trade. She made her Bollywood debut within the Hindi movie Madame Vogue during which she performed the function of Miss Suraiya. This movie was directed by Jaddanbai and it was launched on 30 July 1936. Someday, she went on a vacation together with her maternal uncle M. Zahoor and that day turned out to be a life-changing day for her. Nanubhai Vakil, a well-known Indian filmmaker, was impressed by the harmless and exquisite Suraiya and had given her the function of younger Mumtaz Mahal within the movie Taj Mahal. Reportedly, she landed this function when she visited on the units of Taj Mahal alongside together with her father, the place filmmaker Nanubhai Vakil seen the expertise of 12-year-old Suraiya. She acted in numerous movies as a toddler artist particularly Tamanna(1942), Station Grasp(1942), and Hamari Baat(1943). She began working with Dev Anand within the late Nineteen Forties after which additionally bought concerned in a love relationship. They each labored in seven movies collectively which had been Vidya (1948), Jeet (1949), Shair (1949), Afsar (1950), Nili (1950), Do Sitare (1951), and Sanam (1951). She was among the many highest-paid actresses within the Indian Bollywood Trade within the late Nineteen Forties. Suraiya had given a exceptional efficiency within the film Mirza Ghalib and this very film gained the Nationwide Award for one of the best characteristic movie in India. Our late Prime Minister additionally praised Suraiya for her nice efficiency.
Suraiya began singing in her childhood days. She first sang as a playback singer within the movie Nai Duniya (1942). The identify of her first music was “Boot karun primary polish babu” and it was composed by Naushad. Suraiya continued her playback singing for various movies particularly Sharda (1942), Kanoon (1943), and Sanjog (1942-43). An actor Okay.L. Saigal additionally bought impressed by the expertise of 16-year-old Suraiya so strongly that he gave her a twin function of a heroine and of the singer within the movie Tadbir. Suraiya sang a sequence of 13 songs within the movies Ishara (1943), Parwana (1947), and Singaar (1949). Suraiya was so devoted to her singing expertise that she even performed her half after the partition additionally in India whereas her co-star lefts for Pakistan after the partition.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Suraiya’s well-known movie Mirza Ghalib gained the President’s Gold Medal by the then Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, for one of the best characteristic movie within the 12 months 1954.
- Suraiya was additionally awarded the Display Lifetime Achievement Award within the 12 months 1996.
- Suraiya was awarded by the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy and Display World Publications on the 134th beginning anniversary of Dadasaheb Phalke.
- On the event of the completion of 100 years of Indian Cinema, Suraiya has been voted the ‘Greatest On-Display Magnificence with the Most Ethnic Look’ due to her charming magnificence and essence.
Loss of life
Suraiya’s father, Aziz Jamal Sheikh died within the 12 months 1963, after which she left her appearing profession. She was now left together with her mom in her home, Krishna Mahal, Marine Drive in Mumbai. After her mom’s demise within the 12 months 1987, Suraiya was on their lonesome in her life. Suraiya was disheartened very as a result of her grandmother didn’t permit her marital alliance with Dev Anand. After that, she took a leap from her appearing and singing profession. Suraiya additionally shunned coming into the limelight and within the public eyes. She was affected by numerous well being illnesses attributable to which she bought hospitalized at Mumbai’s Harkishindas Hospital. She took her final breath on 31 January 2004 at 75.
- Suraiya didn’t have the attributes of a up to date actress, neither she acquired formal coaching in music. Nonetheless, she reigned within the leisure trade through the 40s and 50s.
- Suraiya and Dev Anand’s affair was one of the controversial amorous affairs within the Indian Movie Trade.
- Nadira, who was a co-star with Suraiya within the movie Waris stated that her father repeatedly visited the theatre to observe the music sung by her ”Socha tha kya”.
- Suraiya’s three songs bought hit ”Pyar ki jeet”, “Badi behen”, and “Dillagi”. these had been the songs that made Suraiya the very best paid feminine star.
- In her final movie “Rustom Sohrab”, Suraiya sang the music “Ye kaisi ajab dastan ho gayi hai”.
- It was seen that even after Suraiya’s dying, a crimson rose was all the time discovered on her grave within the Mumbai kabristan. It exhibits that her lover cherished her really even in her absence.
- Though Suraiya was untrained in music or singing songs, she sang for 2 movies particularly Station Grasp and Sharda.
- As soon as The Hindu described the various attributes of Suraiya and wrote,
What are you able to say a couple of girl who was courted by Dev Anand, revered by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, however feared by Lata Mangeshkar.”